Birth and Medical Research
- A Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth
- PubMed, to search medical journals
- The Cochrane Collaboration - perhaps the ultimate opinion on current controversies in medicine
- What Mothers Say: Maternity Experiences Survey 2009 - Public Health Agency of Canada
- Toronto's own Jack Newman. The website is full of excellent handouts and video clips of real newborns.
- Ask Lenore: an amazing resource for special breastfeeding situations, such as adoption, and for those who have struggled with infertility or miscarriage.
- The Association of Ontario Midwives: here's where you go to find a midwife in Ontario
- The College of Midwives of Ontario: this is the body that regulates midwifery practice. There's good information on the way midwives do things in Ontario if you dig around.
- Ina May Gaskin and The Farm: If you know her, no introduction is needed. If you don't, well, these are the original hippy midwives. They do good work.
Queer Parenting Resources
- The LGBTQ Parenting Connection: A variety of resources have come together to form this new website. The 519 Queer Parenting courses are all listed here as well.
- Maia Midwifery: A California-based midwifery practice. There's lots of good information and resources here for queer families and queer folk planning families
- Birth Balance (warning, this site has music playing by default, but it's easily turned off)
- Waterbirth International: Formerly run by Barbara Harper
- True Blue Therapy: Birth pool rentals in the Toronto area
- Choices Childbirth Services: Birth pool rentals in the Toronto area
Lost your binder? Not a client yet, but would like to see a sample contract? This is just a small sample of the resources available to Lucina clients. The following files are in PDF form. You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open them. The software can be downloaded free from this site.
Rean's Birth Letter of Agreement
Rean's Postpartum Letter of Agreement
Rean's Placenta Services Agreement
Birth Plan Template
Trying to Make a Decision?
The Cascade of Interventions
Doctor, Midwife, Doula? Options for Care in Ontario
Deciding About Eye Ointment
Deciding About Vitamin K
Deciding About Newborn Screening
Pounds to Grams Conversion Chart
I try to update my Recommended Reading handout regularly. The current version is here in pdf.
If you can get down to the Bathurst and Bloor area, I highly recommend a visit to Parentbooks. They can make recommendations and steer you to things that suit your pregnancy and parenting style.
I have an extensive library of books and videos related to pregnancy, childbirth and newborns that clients are free to borrow. Most of them are listed at LibraryThing - have a look!